With the occupation by French Revolution troops from 1792, Eppelsheim became French, like the entire left bank of the Rhine. It belonged since 1798 to the newly created department Mont Tonnerre (Donnersberg). The connection with France gave the inhabitants of the town considerable freedom. These included civil rights, equality before the law, freedom of trade and civilian civilization. The aristocratic and ecclesiastical property was confiscated by the state and auctioned to peasants, Who had often lived on these areas for decades. On the other hand, the high taxation and the military service in the numerous conquest wars of Napoleon were a source of annoyance. After the defeat of Napoleon, Eppelsheim became part of the newly created Hessen-darmstadt region of Rheinhessen in 1816.
The early 19th century was marked by strong population growth. In 1815 the population amounted to 534, it rose to 1834 to 798 persons. The practiced real division led to a strong fragmentation of ownership in the agricultural community and was a reason for the emigration of over 200 Eppelsheimers to the USA.
|Date(s)||Name / Notes|
|1945||Eppelsheim, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
After World War II the Hessian territory left of the Rhine was again occupied by France, whereas the rest of the country was part of the US occupation zone. The French separated their part of Hesse from the rest of the country and incorporated it into the newly founded state of Rhineland-Palatinate (Rheinland-Pfalz).
|Osthofen, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany||7.3|
|Jugenheim, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany||13.6|
|Mannheim, Baden, Germany||20.6|
|Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany||20.6|