The Cemetery is located 1 1/2 miles west of the village of Mechanicsburg on the Mechanicsburg to Springfield County Road at markers 11 East and 1 North. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in Sangamon County with burials beginning in the 1830's. A Cemetery Association was formed in 1837 and incorporated in 1876. The present location was in the beginning the Methodist Camp Meeting Grounds. A death occurred at one of the meetings and the person was buried on the grounds, thus the beginning of the burials in this area. Many of the early settlers of Mechanicsburg Township are buried here. Mechanicsburg Township is composed of the villages of Buffalo, Dawson and Mechanicsburg. It is a large cemetery with well over 4,000 burials. The cemetery is well maintained with burials averaging 35 a year.